The party pressed on through the basement of the Chateau de Bellois.
They entered a long room populated by a few imps, a spined devil, and a vizier devil. The room was full of traps – as soon as the party entered, one of the walls began to charge up with lightning. The wall of lightning advanced, pushing people forward as it shocked them. Several chests were scattered about the room, but the party only had the chance to open one chest before the wall advanced past them.
The devils and traps failed to halt the party’s advance. They tried to make camp, but heard mad shouting from the next room. Steeling themselves for a fight, they entered.
In the next room, they saw one of the city’s Primal Spirits gazing into a strangely shaped mirror. It was a four dimensional mirror, looking at it was disorienting, like looking at an MC Escher painting. It was reflecting light into the fourth dimension, drawing creatures to the area. The primal spirit, who looked like somebody at Carnivale, had been driven mad by his reflection in the Far Realms. Gehentir warned the party that he was lost – his mind had been shattered by his glimpse of the Truth.
The spirit, now a corrupt aberration called a Thought Scourge, laid into the party with psychic attacks. One of its psychic attacks involved a wave of despair, which could be mitigated by channeling the psychic damage into another party member. Mephistopheles, whose mind is protected by the creature called Gehentir, was able to absorb a lot of these attacks without it destroying his will to fight.
Thorc recognized the creature as a spirit of the Old Quarter. Its attacks involved channeling the negativity and hate which has been experienced in that part of the city. If an adventurer missed it with an attack, he suddenly became lost in a hallucination of being at Carnivale, in the midst of some violent episode. The adventurer would lash out against their attacker, which turned out to be a party member. In this way, the Thought Scourge was able to have the party fight each other. He also unleashed an attack which made them deal damage to each other if they stood too close.
Thorc ran towards the mirror and began to smash it. Every time it was struck, hordelings from the Far Realms descended into this dimension. The party became spread out, but managed to slay the Thought Scourge before it could heal itself in the mirror or feed on the fallen.
The party left the basement. Now – to escape the chateau. They created a distraction by spooking the horses in the stable, and then rode off on stolen steeds. The cut the horses loose a few miles outside of the city, and then returned to Ave Sestina.
The party stayed at The Oak, a large inn with a tree growing inside. They stayed in a lush room called the Purple Room, and checked out after an extended rest.
There was trouble at Councilman Kelson’s house. Alanna and Brendel were in some kind of shock. In the kitchen, Councilman Kelson’s headless body lay on the floor. The party’s patron had been assassinated.
This led to an in depth discussion about what to do next…
- They want to rescue the Fae imprisoned by the crowns at Sovrano castle. This fae had been captured while spying on the devil called Chemellon,
- Brendel and Alanna asked if they could work with the party. Not as adventurers, but as diplomats. The party agreed, and followed that they’d like to put the twins on the City Council. Brendel and Alanna to both run for city council, filling Kelson and Roland Clay’s spot.
- In motivation, Brendel and Alanna are very different. Brendel believes that the party will be able to do the most good by acquiring as much power as possible. This may involve courting the favor of unfavorable people. Alanna believes that the party should focus on restoring the bridge pacts because that’s what’s best for the city – even if it makes some enemies.
- In the meantime, they need a patron in order to claim city funds allocated for addressing the aberration problem. There were a few possible options discussed, all of them members of the Cloth faction. The party considered Drennemain, but thought that working for her might involve doing too much Lyceum work. Brendel and Alanna agreed to arrange an appointment with the high counselor of St. Beck’s district, Sammos Burien.
- Griff wants to go meet with this mysterious guild contact at the Cloak & Swagger.
- Kevian wants to track down and kill the Halfling named Felix. The party has been impersonating his party, and it’s probably best to tie up that loose end before he talks to the Crowns.